Recruiting Senior Sales Talent…a very different approach
For Corporate Executives, hiring recruiters to source Senior Sales talent always feels like the proverbial “pounding round pegs into square holes”. The process is disheartening, and the results are too frequently unsatisfactory.
After spending years watching expensive, failed, search efforts for senior sales-leaders, Derby Management decided to architect a completely new approach for recruiting. The results have been dramatic:
- Shorter search times given our expertise as CEOs and VPs of Sales
- Lower-cost acquisition model using our unique financial incentives
- Higher quality candidates due to tighter position profiles which lead to…
- ...shorter sales cycles and faster close rates
- ...higher ASPs
- ...significantly more accurate forecasts
- Hiring candidates who stay and grow with the organization well beyond the current 24- month average tenure for newly hired sales managers in most industries.
- Detailed onboarding processes that extend well beyond “the honeymoon period” and lead to faster quota attainment.
- Elimination of late-stage roadblocks that frustrate both candidates and management.
In addition to being far less expensive, we wrap every recruiting assignment around a suite of services that includes the following:
- Recruiting Profile: With you, we prepare a detailed Position Profile that provides exactly what the sales executive must bring to the company in order to be successful. This principal hiring document is not a typical vanilla job description for a head of sales. It is a customized, detailed profile defining the specific skills that are needed, the experienced that is required, and the personality attributes that specifically match the culture of your company.
- Testing: Using this Position Profile, we partner with you not only to ensure that the candidates meet all of the required components, but additionally design customized testing criteria for skills and attributes that dramatically improve the success rate of the selection process. We have learned that too often people are hired based on their experience and then fired based on missing culture and personality attributes that did not translate to your company’s values.
- Compensation Plans: Working closely with you, we design a realistic, understandable, attractive compensation plan that includes base salary, bonuses, and a variety of variable components. In this process, we ensure that the compensation metrics fit perfectly with the company’s objectives to drive internal results and add customer value.
- Negotiation: Taking direction from you, we will provide whatever level of compensation negotiation and involvement you want. Our focus is the same as yours, and that is to ensure that the newly hired sales executive begins this position with a winning, positive relationship fitting smoothly into the culture and rhythm of your company.
- New Hire Success: We architect a detailed onboarding process with weekly and monthly metrics, checkins and periodic reviews. This commits the company to investing time in training with specific individuals and the new sales executive knows what they are responsible to master each week.
- Sales Process and Tools: Everyone in a high-growth company must sell, not just the salespeople and sales management. If the new hire is to succeed, they must fully understand and actually live the value principles of customer focus and culture. This includes the sales process and the related embedded tools that define the most efficient method of selling while also delivering the highest value to your customer. If any components of this sales process are missing, we can extend the recruiting assignment to work with the newly hired sales leader to develop a highly efficient and customer-focused process specifically customized to your business.
Why hire a recruiter who has never held a sales management job or delivered quarterly results?
Convinced that the standard recruiting model is broken? Intrigued?
Tired of paying 30% fees and more?
Contact me to learn more.
George Simmons, Derby Management, 508-789-7246 or firstname.lastname@example.org