Coming off the Thanksgiving break after one too many slices of pumpkin pie, I'm feeling pretty good about sales specifically and business overall right now. A couple of solid weeks of selling left in the year. Everyone at the firm is maxed out with work. January's outlook appears to be reasonably ok. Teaching at Tufts and MIT are in exam modes. The stock market is humming, and the economy in general seems to be more positive...even though the fundamentals (little things like debt, GDP growth and jobs) aren't that much better.
So, here I am, thinking that I'm finally holding all the right cards, and yet I'm wondering if everyone else wants to play chess instead?
My question comes down to personal and corporate relevancy, and it begs well thought out answers to the strategic questions of...
- Are our products and services still what our customers need?
- Do our people have the skills that our customers want?
- Does our messaging still resonate with new prospects?
- What's the real value we provide our customers?
- Do I and my team have the right stuff to stay "in the zone"?
10 planning steps for 2014...
- Continue to collect these strategic questions during this month
- Write them down
- Ask the rest of management to do the same
- Take the entire list & prioritize it as a team of equals
- Take the team offsite in January, discuss & further prioritize
- Concentrate only on 5 items that could move the 2014 needle
- Give assignments to sub-teams to do more research and analysis
- Bring everyone back together in mid-February to develop the answers
- Create total consensus- this is the very difficult part
- Lock down the process and then set up 3 review meetings during the year.
...a simple framework, and not really that difficult to do as long as everyone is focused, realizes that this work will require extra time outside "the day job", and that at the end point, everyone must be in total agreement.
...just another item to think about as you continue to push yourself through the next 14 selling days.
If you want more than a framework for your detailed planning process in January, click HERE to get our 100+ page ebook on Writing the Winning Business Plan
Want to learn about value propositions, pricing, sales and marketing processes, technology tools and how to hire perfectly every time, join 30 other managers at...
The 2014 Sales Management Boot Camp: April 6th-8th
Click HERE for information about our next Sales Management Boot Camp.
- Perfectly timed for new sales management skills for 2014
- Focused on you and what it takes to enable your team
- Process, tools, tactics, and technology in a Sales 2.0 world
- Only 30 managers are accepted
- Always sold out so register early!