Writing Your 2022 Business Plan
Writing and editing business plans is a time-consuming and difficult task, especially if the result is not understood or, worse, your business plan is simply not even read...even by your team or your board!
We really understand business plans! Download our "Writing the 2022 Winning Business Plan," which has been updated many times since 2020, in order to reflect the rapidly changing times. While we usually believe that creating a long term business strategy plan is effective, right now is not the time for that. Due to the unprecedented and abnormal times, it is necessary to tactically plan quarter-by-quarter, considering both the overall business, as well as Sales and Marketing!
Each year, we review more than 1,000 business plans and are actively involved in the creation or editing of 100 of these. As authors of business plans and founders/cofounders of a number of startups, we make sure our business plans reflect the vision of both the CEO and the entire management team. More importantly, we break down business planning into strategies, implementable tactics, action planning and realistic three-year financial plans.
Through our experience as early-stage venture and later-stage private equity investors, as well as our active involvement in the fundraising ecosystem of Boston, we have become hands-on experts at writing and executing on business plans!
Over the years, Jack Derby has been...
- Director of the Derby Entrepreneurship Center@Tufts
- The Cummings Family Professor of Entrepreneurship at Tufts University
- A Tufts Professor in Marketing and Sales; an MIT professor in Business Planning
- Chairman of the MIT Enterprise Forum of Cambridge
- Vice Chairman of the Smaller Business Association of New England
- Chair of the Association of Corporate Growth. Lifetime Achievement Award in 2019
- Chairman of Common Angel Ventures
- A founder/co-founder of nine startups.
- An investor with the experience of 54 deals raising $840m
George Simmons, has been...
- An active investor and member of the Screening Committee at Launchpad Ventures
- An active investor in Cherrystone Angels
- A frequent lecturer for the Rhode Island Business Plan Competition
Reading the Writing the Winning Business Plan is only the beginning of the process. Just as in learning how to drive a car or how to play a sport, reading the rules was usually not good enough to enable you to become an expert. At those times in your life, you needed a coach. Writing business plans is no different. If you're already experienced, then Writing the Winning Business Plan will provide you with a tune-up. If you are not that experienced, then you’re typical of the majority of both the entrepreneurs and the seasoned business managers with whom we work.
"Derby Management was with us at the very beginning of our new business. We worked hand in hand on the business plan, engaging in active debates at every decision point. The plan was rock solid and delivered. As the business grew at a meteoric rate passing the $100 million dollar mark, our management team had to assume increasing responsibilities - yet they'd only been on the job for two years. Derby Management was there for us again, driving home the systematic approach to business planning and critical on-time execution of the plan."
- Ellen Frank, CEO, Serono